12/31/2021

How I build my turnouts by hand

Just a small tutorial on how I make my turnouts. I use Templot to create the trackplan together with the turnouts. I print the template, tape it on the work plank and glue the PCB ties to the template and cut the gaps with a file or a hand cutting tool:
First I start with the heel of the frog. I file the rail to be as sharp and as pointy as possible:
Then I solder the rail to the PCB ties, without soldering the tip:
I file the other part of the heel, to align with the other one:
I solder it and also solder the two rails together at the joining point:
Next is the stock rails. I file the base of the rail, so it will not interfere with the switch rails:
I solder the stock rail onto the PCB ties:
I do the same with the other stock rail:
Next come the switch rails and the rest of the frog, these are all one piece of rail. I file the switch blade ends as much as possible until the blend with the filed stock rail and solder four ties counted from the heel point:
I take two pieces of rail, bend the ends a bit and solder them where the guard rails have to be:
I take a PDB tie and insert it under the ends of the switch blades. When soldering, the gap is kept as it will be when the blade is in the switched position:
A quick test with an archbar truck, that it slides flawlessly on both routes:
Now I cut the gaps at the frog to isolate it electrically:
The turnout is ready for installation on the layout!! For all the photos in full res, check out all the photos in my album.

No comments:

Post a Comment